No products in the cart.
Yongnuo YN-500EX ETTL High Speed Sync Flash Speedlite for Canon. Smaller brother of Yongnuo flagship model YN568EX offering the same functions with little less power. Guide number of 53m (iso100, 105mm) and HSS make this flash a great choice for amateurs and advanced users
Yongnuo YN500EX | Flash for Canon
Yongnuo YN500EX is the second HSS TTL flash Speedlite from Yongnuo. It is a smaller version of Yongnuo YN568EX II. YN500EX is a so called “smaller brother” of Yongnuo flagship flash YN568EX. Few main differences between them are:
YN500EX has a lower guide number of 53, compared to 58 of the YN-568EX
YN500EX has a PC sync port instead of the updated 2.5mm sub-mini sync port in the YN568EX
YN500EX has 7 levels of power control ( 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 ), 25 levels of fine tuning, while YN568EX has 8 levels of output control (plus 1/128)
Yongnuo YN500EX is only available for Canon cameras. Nikon Version has not been announced. YN500EX is a flash very similar to Canon 430EX II in terms of size and design, but Yongnuo has diffuser and flash bounce cards which Canon flash do not have.
Here are my thoughts on Yongnuo YN500EX flash speedlite:
- Regarding power -The new model has a bit less power compared to the bigger YN568EX. This power drop makes it less effective especially in its main feature, which is the HSS mode. Going for the 500EX and not for the 568EX just for saving some bucks might be a mistake if you get it for HSS purposes.
- Design – This one looks in my opinion much better than the YN568EX. Its smaller and more modern design compared to the bulkier 568 makes a big difference.
- Size – The YN-500EX looks more like a 430EX or SB700 (something of a combination of both), it’s a nice add-on to YN’s flash arsenal. Guys who are using small cameras like Canon’s 1100D or even advanced compact cameras like G15 will find a smaller flash more comfortable compared to the YN568/YN565EX.
- Compatibility –This flash will work great with the Yongnuo YN622C triggers. The only thing you should consider is the 53GN, so in situations where you push it to its limits – 1/8000th and wide open aperture, you might regret you got it over the 568EX, as the flash power is very noticable in HSS mode.
- Generally, it is a great flash. For amateur use, it is perfect. I am just trying to say that it is not for a professionals who will push it to its limits where its lower guide number might be a limitation.
Yongnuo YN500EX - features
- Yongnuo YN500EX Supports High-Speed Synchronization – With high-speed sync (FP flash), the YN500EX can synchronize at all shutter speeds. The maximum shutter sync speed is up to 1/8000
Compatible with Nikon’s and Canon’s wireless flashing system – One YN500EX is able to respectively accept internal flashing of 580EX II, SB-900/800/700, 7D/70D/60D/600D/650D/700D/750D/760D, Canon commander or N’s internal flashing and ST-E2 wireless signal, achieving external TTL and manual flashing. Some beckoning functions such as wireless TTL flashing, grouping light ratio TTL flashing and the illumination of remote controlled flashing can be easily attained only if you carry a camera with built-in flash commander system and YN500EX
Multiple Triggering Mode Supported – YN500EX can be triggered by the camera set-top, built-in or main-controlled flashing commander, S1 and S2 (pre-flash-canceled mode)
Supports Auto/Manual Zooming – YN500EX covers focal length range of 24～105mm, supporting full-frame/APS-C cameras.
Comprehensively Support TTL Functions – HSS, FEC, FEB, Rear-curtain sync (2nd curtain sync), FE lock, Modeling Light, Canon camera menu accessible
- Equipped with standard PC sync interface – It makes things easier on lightening the speedlite synchronously by using PC Sync line
Sound Prompting System – When the sound prompting system is enabled, the different sound alerts will prompt the different working conditions of the flashlight allowing you to focus on shooting.
Modeling Light Function – Press down the camera’s depth-of-fired preview button, the YN500EX will send out continuous flash lasting one second
Advanced Settings On Flash – The YN500EX has advanced options setting function, where you can self-define the functions of the flashlight based on your own requirements
Automatic settings saving – YN500EX automatically saves the operation currently used for your future use
LCD Panel User Interface With Super Gelivable Metal Hot-Shoe Stand
- Does not support Wireless Master mode. Does not support external battery packs
Yongnuo YN500EX - specifications:
|Circuit design:||Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor IGBT|
|Guide number (105mm):||53|
|Flash mode:||TTL, Manual, Multi, Sc, Sn, S1, S2|
|Zoom range:||Auto, 24, 35, 50, 70, 80, 105mm|
|Vertical rotation angle:||-7 ~ 90°|
|Horizontal rotation angle:||0 ~ 270°|
|Lighting time:||100 ~ 1500 times (AA Alkaline cell used)|
|Recycle time:||3 seconds|
|Flash duration time:||1/200s ~ 1/2000s|
|Flash control:||7 levels of output control (1/64 ~ 1/1), 25 levels of fine tuning|
|External interface:||hot shoe, PC port|
|Wireless triggering distance:||20 ~ 25m indoor, 10 ~ 15m outdoor|
|Power supply:||4x AA size batteries|
|Dimensions:||62 x 72 x 165mm|
Yongnuo YN500EX - compatible with:
1) Wireless TTL Slave mode:
Canon 5DIII, 7D, 60D, 600D, 650D, 700D, 750D, 760D, 70D, Yongnuo ST-E2, Canon 580EX II
Nikon SB-900, SB-800, SB-700, Commander SU-800,
Camera with CLS i-TTL system:D4, D3x, D3s, D3, D2x, D700, D300s, D300, D200, D7000, D90, D80
2) Hot shoe TTL mode:
Canon 1Dx, 1Ds series, 1D series, 5Ds, 5DSr, 5DIII, 5DII, 5D, 7D, 7D mark II, 6D, 70D, 60D, 50D, 40D, 30D, 20D, 700D, 750D, 760D, 650D/T4i, 600D/T3i, 550D/T2i, 500D/T1i, 450D/Xsi, 400D/Xti, 350D, 1100D, 1000D, 1200D and any newer Canon DSLR camera
Yongnuo YN500EX - package includes:
1 x Yongnuo YN500EX flash speedlite for Canon
1 x Mini Stand
1 x Manual in English and Chinese
1 x Original box
1 x Soft case for flash